Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Prince is Striking on Computers

Claiming that the internet is "over," Prince has decided to release his upcoming album with newspapers later this week. His most choice quote:

The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you.

I think Prince is on to something here. Maybe it is time for the people like Prince, who invented cool, to come out and speak out against some of the more ridiculous aspects of the digital age. Like the stupid white earphones that everybody wears on the subway or the assumption that iTunes is the best and only way to find new music. I admit, I am a little angry that the new iPhone 4 ad made me feel so sentimental when the pregnant mother facechatted with her baby's daddy in Iraq while getting a sonogram. So as not to appear that my anger is directed solely at Apple, it really grates on me when sentimental things* specifically designed to sell me a product or an idea, tug at my heartstrings so effectively.



I also fully admit, that criticizing the self-interest of our current zeitgeist from my own blog and reading it from my own iPhone is a tad ironic, and borders on hypocritical, so I will acknowledge that this might be stemming from a recent moment of blog-related existential terror when I passed somebody wearing this on the street:

And in the same day saw somebody post this on the facetube:


With all this in mind, I can't help but ask what purpose of personal blogs like this one serve. Are they supposed to educate readers? Share thoughts hoping that somebody posts a witty or sarcastic comment in reply? Be embedded with as many links as possible to make technorati and Google AdWords happy? Sometimes I feel like the blogging world is like a cocktail party where a bunch of people are talking to themselves, hoping to find a few interested compatriots, but end up just drunk people yelling.  Perhaps this blog has been listless for some time, bouncing from subject to subject with no real grounding theme to center it and is guilty of the cocktail party syndrome. I guess that I could get angry at cute pictures of animals every day. Or show tattoos of owls. Or even talk about stuff that white people like. At the end of the day, I guess it boils down to the fact that I enjoy sharing my thoughts with people who want to listen and think that writing them down helps me make sense of them. At its best, I hope my blog works like a public sounding board that shares my perspective on the world and gives me some feedback in return, constructive or otherwise. I also hope that Prince would find it in some way additive to society and think that it does something more than fill people's heads with numbers.With all this rambling done, I think that, for now, the existential crisis has been averted.

*To name a few:
1)Mel Gibson's "They may take our lives, but they will never take our freedom!"
2)Apollo 13 "If they could get a washing machine to fly, my Jimmy could land it."
3)"Am I a good man?" in Saving Private Ryan
4) Every scene from Armageddon (recently found out this is in the Criterion Collection?!)

2 comments:

Web said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Web said...
This comment has been removed by the author.